Monday, February 16, 2015

Goodbye Leslie Gore...and thanks for the song

The summer before my sophomore year of high school my parents bought me a limited membership to a pool.  The irony of me having a membership to anyplace where there was a pool was not lost on me or my friends. I do not swim. I do not go near the edge of a pool in case someone might think it funny to push me in. (It's not).  But with the limited pool membership came 2 important things a "cabana" for storing my stuff and changing my clothes and boys. New ones from other places  I lived in North Bergen, New Jersey...the new boys appeared to mostly be from Jersey City.  They were cute.

It was a good summer. I discovered that the cabana had a third purpose. I could go inside with a boy, close the door and makeout. And I did. A lot.  His name was Jay. Jay and I hung out together for several weeks...but I already had my eye on a tall skinny kid named Mike who went to a private school.  We spent a lot of time talking...and eventually making out....most of the summer.  When school resumed we had less contact (in all possible ways) but I saw him from time to time because his best friend was dating one of mine.  About a week before the homecoming dance at my school, I was toying with the idea of suggesting that Mike come to our dance. With a  little encouragement I finally did.  He said "That sounds like fun. I'll drive with Mike (another Mike)".

On the night of the dance I was a wreck. I cannot recall what I wore but I know I changed my clothes 100 times before my Mom said "STOP!".Later, as  I stood at the door of the gym and waited for the Mikes to arrive, I imagined what the night would be like.  Lost in my fantasies I was surprised when my friend Ellen came rushing in my direction with wide eyes and the look of stark horror on her face. "Okay. Okay.. she said, "Now don't panic but Mike is here...and he brought a date.  Her name is Judy".

Devastating.  I guess I hadn't been clear about this being a DATE....(I would never make this mistake again) I pulled my self together enough to walk over to him, smile and allow myself to be introduced to JUDY.  At that moment I was certain that I was not going to let JUDY wreck my life...she could wreck only that night. After being cordial and smiling I ran to the girls' room and cried for twenty minutes...and then waited twenty more until my nose stopped running, my eyeliner was reapplied and the actual color returned to my face.

That was the year that "It's My Party" by Leslie Gore was released. If you're old enough to recall the song, then you know that the bad girl in the song was named, yep, JUDY.  I remember my favorite line "Judy and Johnny just walked through the door, like  a queen with her king..." I declared then and there that Mike would be mine and Judy would be GONE IN NO TIME.

I succeeded.

And the next song Leslie Gore released was, "And now it's Judy's turn to cry"

Leslie Gore passed away today. She was one year older than I am now. I feel badly. I never got to tell her how much those songs meant to me...when I was 14.

Party on Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment